Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Read and To-Read–> January 2014

Hello again! August was the last time I posted about what I’ve read and plan to read next, so I figured it was time for an update. Also, before I get into it, I could also post a review of my 5 favourite books of 2013, if anyone would be interested in reading that!

(I’ll link all the books to GoodReads so you can check them out by clicking on the titles if you’d like more information about any of the books I mention! All pictures were taken from GoodReads.)

Finished:

1. Bleach by Kubo Tite

This was on my last book post as well, and will be on my next one as well, as I slowly work my way through this extremely long manga.

2. Delirium / Pandemonium / Requiem by Lauren Oliver

I believe the first of this trilogy was mentioned in my to-read list last time, and, shockingly, I did, as well as the two following parts. This series was very good, but is still my least favourite of the teen dystopian trilogies I’ve read. That said, I still recommend it, especially if the concept of a world controlled by the extermination of the feeling of love interests you in the least. (If you do read it, though, I would suggest reading the side stories as well, as they really add something to the overall world, in my opinion, at least. They are available in both ebook and physical form.)

3. Triangles / Tilt by Ellen Hopkins

These two books aren’t so much sequels as simultaneous plotlines (the technical word is: “paraquel”). Ellen Hopkins, if you don’t know, is mainly a YA author who writes in verse (not prose), stories from the point of view of a few important characters in each novel. All of which are about tough issues like drugs, depression, mental illness, and sex (etc.). In these paraquels, one novel—Tilt—is from the POV of the teen characters, and the other—Triangles—is from the POV of those teens’ parents. I loved this duo, and it’s really interesting reading one book, and then going in and seeing where other characters were (physically and mentally) at the same time. I definitely recommend!

4. The Selection / The Elite by Kiera Cass

These two books are part of a trilogy that hasn’t all been published yet, so I’m still waiting on the third book. Thus far, I’m in love with this story! It’s another teen dystopian, but it comes from a different angle, and it is so far much less about revolutions and changing the system, and much more focussed on the relationships and characters interactions. I can’t wait for book 3, which will be called The One, and I definitely recommend checking out this series if you like dystopians and don’t mind plenty of romance!

5. Allegiant by Veronica Roth

The final book in the Divergent series! I absolutely loved this series, it’s a super quick read considering the page count, because it is so hard to put down! I personally really liked the ending, as well, though I hear that tons of people hated it. What a bunch of whiners; it was fantastic! Anyways, I can’t wait for the Divergent movie to come out in March!

***

As you might have noticed, I didn’t scratch much off my first to-read list over the past few months, and that list continues to grow much faster than I can read! However, here are the books that I’m currently reading, as well as the ones I plan to get to next:

***

Currently Reading:

1. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

2. Madd Addam by Margaret Atwood

***

I’m also working through a few books for school, since I’m in three new classes this semester. Instead of spamming this post with those books, however, I’ll do another School Book Haul like I have in the past.

Finally, here are the next books on my own personal to-read list:

***

To Read:

1. The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald

2. 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

3. The Tale of the Body Thief by Anne Rice

4. The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien

5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

6. Atonement by Ian McEwan

7. This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald

8. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

9. Vegan, Virgin, Valentine by Carolyn Mackler

10. Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

And just to be clear, the above books are in addition to anything I haven’t yet read from the August 2013 version of this post. They pile up quickly..!

If you want to follow me on GoodReads, click here. I’d love to hear from you in the comments what you’ve been reading lately! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...